I began working on Ibis, the City of Sorcerers today – drawing a thumbnail sketch of a map, shooting around ideas for locations I want to place thereon (is that a word?). Thought I’d share, and ask if anyone has ideas for things they think should be in a pseudo-Egyptian city-state with a bunch of sorcerers residing therein (not that’s a word).
– A bend of the River of Death with quays, crocodiles, a noble barge, maybe a half-submerged grotto filled with things unspeakable.
– An Inn (obviously I’ve put a lot of thought into this one).
– Clock shop – or general place to buy mainsprings and weird bits of mystic engineering.
– Tavern – a beer hall of some sort, lots of students, raucous – no magical stuff allowed, only for the normal folk who put up with enough magic during the day …
– A den of thieves in an old, abandoned granary – stone tower, cylindrical, secret passages to a hidden quay (for smuggling), maybe to the beer hall, maybe into the sewers.
– A souk running through the neighborhood – lots of peddlers in tents/booths.
– Workshops – leatherworker, dry goods, pointy hat shop, fine wands and staves, weapons and armor, a tailor (mystic gowns for men).
– Mausoleum of a Nabu princess/queen.
– Temple of Thoth – big compound.
– Subterranean temple of Seth – hidden under something innocuous, maybe the wine cellar.
– Flophouse, apartments surrounding an open yard filled with weird mushrooms and mushroom fairies.
– Bakery / coffee house.
– A tavern with a wine cellar.
– Gardens of the Nomarch.
– Tower astronomical observatory.
– University – dominates the center of the map – library, lecture hall (old hall, new hall), shrine of scribe goddess, vaults holding magical experiments, manse of the chancellor, laboratories.
– Fortune teller.
– Animal Market – large building, selling camels, horses, maybe more exotic creatures.
– Temple of Hathor – temple whores
– Tavern frequented by mages, maybe with portals to other places and times.
– A pleasant grove.
– Tobacconist – herbalist – pipes and other smoking paraphernalia.
– Sewers – open in a few places, tunnels inhabited by ghouls (the Mortuary Society, a recognized guild in Ibis charged with dealing with carrion).
– Guild of Astrologomages, Planet-Masters and Weather-Watchers.
– Orichalcum foundry and jewelers dealing in astrolabes and amulets – maybe a gnome factory.
– Emporium with weird doo-dads – no two of the same thing, nothing overtly magical, owner pays for rarities in coins of rose-gold.
– A mortuary for all of your mummy needs – maybe an adjacent shrine of Anubis.
– Wizard towers like minarets
– A serpentarium, for all of your asp and cobra needs.
– A used chariot shop, because I love the 3 Stooges [okay, maybe I’ll leave this one out].
– Stone carvers – long factory, many monuments half-finished
– Vat and cauldron maker
– Printing shop
– Foreign merchants – true factory
– Industrial area with tanners, phosphorous makers, alchemists, smiths – have a tavern for working joes and host cock fights/bear baiting
– A snake charmer
– Physick who doubles as a detective
– Lapidary shop; meeting place for conspirators who want a republic like Antigoon
– Maybe a nice collection of low-level magic-users – diviner, necromancer, conjuror – along with an illusionist and elementalist. These will be spread throughout the aforementioned locations, so as not to make them too obvious – retired adventurers who have sought a safer life of commerce.
– Monsters – were-cobra clutch, vampire and minions, mummy and ghoul attendants, bandit king and men – laying low and recuperating, vaults of synthoids and homunculi, a well of souls
So – anything obvious that I’m missing here. I’ll fill the gaps with other artisans, maybe a set monster encounter or two, but anything else?